Shows blood leakage (red arrows).
No erection (white arrow showing penis) despite medication.
– Anesthesia: general, or spinal anesthesia
– Scar: in pubic hairs, sometimes around the basis of the glan
– Surgery duration : 3 to 6 hours
– Surgery combines vascular, endovascular, microsurgical techniques. The hybrid room allows for 3D visualization of veins and arteries in penis and pelvis
– An efficacy control is performed at the end of the procedure. Residual leakages can be treated.
Siemens Hybrid Room equipment used for surgery
The surgical procedure is performed in a secured environment, after a consultation with an anesthesiologist who can request investigations if required by general health condition (cardiac, respiratory, …)
Patient discharge from clinic is decided upon complete recovery from anesthesia. Although we have never needed to use it in our experience, a resuscitation ward is available. The patient is followed up post-operatively.
This is a list of main possible complications. Most of the time, however, no complication occurs after surgery:
– Penis edema, for a few days or weeks
– Hematoma, infections. Rare. By exception, may require another surgery
– Hydrocele decompensation. Rare
– Decreased skin sensitivity on the penis or the glan. Rare. They regress most of the time
– Pulmonary embolisms, prevented by an anticoagulant treatment during one week post-operatively, and no airplane travel before 2 weeks after surgery
– Penis skin lesions. Rare. Reversible
– No erection (with arrow)
– Numerous leaks through a complex venous network
AFTER SUCCESSFUL SURGERY
– Full and sustained erection (with arrow).
– No leakage.
A work-up is performed 3 months after surgery, with erection evaluation and penis Duplex-scanner assessing leakage resolution and quality of erections.
We recommend a yearly follow-up.
During the first months, erection pills can help recovering sexual activity.
Surgery is an opportunity to reconsider way of life, particularly with regard to stress, tiredness, and addictions such as tobacco, alcohol. Sport, relaxation and balanced diet help recover harmony in life.
Impotence is a trauma. Erection is a complex process that put men under stress and obligation to perform. As a complement to surgery, psychological help can be useful.